The Sheffield YS4C march and rally on 20th September was a huge success and saw one of the largest demonstrations in Sheffield for many years. They will be striking again on Friday 29th November.
1. Please ensure your trade union branch or other organisation is represented at the planning meeting on Saturday 9th November (see below).
2. Please also see at the end of this email information about a benefit to raise funds for Sheffield Extinction Rebellion with the Free Radicals -also on Saturday 9th November.
3. Brief information about a meeting in Leeds, also on 9th November, intended to bring climate action groups together across Yorkshire. Unfortunately this clashes with our meeting, but we shall send a message in support.
Martin Mayer Sheffield TUC
Saturday 9th November 1pm – 3.30pm Sheffield Quakers Meeting House
Hosted by: YS4C; Sheffield Trades Council; Sheffield Climate Alliance; Campaign Against Climate Change; Sheffield XR
The Climate Strikes on September 20th were a magnificent success. The biggest school strikes yet also saw the biggest participation of trade unionists and workers, following the call by the Trades Union Congress for a 30 minute workday action.
5,000 students, trade unionists and workers marched to City Hall for a rally here in Sheffield, joining millions across the world in demanding action on climate change. The Climate Strikes by YS4C/UKSCN have been an inspiration, and there are further strikes planned for November the 29th.
This meeting is intended to bring together school students, environmental activists, trade unionists and workers to discuss what we can do to follow on from the success of September the 20th. There will also be workshops covering:
- The Green New Deal
- Climate Refugees
- How to organise Eco groups/campaigns in schools, Universities and workplaces.
All are welcome.
This is a benefit in support of Extinction Rebellion, Sheffield (https://www.facebook.com/
Tickets (£5) can be purchased here: https://events.ticketsforgood.
All the best,
3. Zero Carbon Community Groups across Yorkshire Meet up Leeds, Sat 9 Nov 2019 at 10:30
One of the members of Wakefield Just Transition circulated this and I wondered if you or your links might be interested too.
The event is to see if there is interest in setting up a Yorkshire network to link groups working on Zero Carbon. The meeting is in Leeds