The school children are organising another school strike on 20th September – and this time we want to show them real support from trade unions in the city.
Greta Thunberg has been inspirational – and the school strikes have raised the profile of the climate emergency to a new level. They thought “ordinary people” would condemn the school children for striking, but the opposite is the case! Trade unions know there IS a climate emergency. We need a real transformation in our society to achieve a carbon-free economy that provides good jobs and a fairer, sustainable future for all of us.
Please come to our next Climate Strike organising meeting on Tuesday 3rd September, 7pm at the Quakers Meeting House, 10 St James St, S1 2EW
On Wednesday 24th July over 50 people turned up to our first organising meeting, called to build support for the 20th September school strikes. There were some great ideas about what trade union branches and their members could do to show support. Whether you came to the first meeting or not, all are welcome to help finalise activities for the 20th September. Co-hosted by YouthStrike4Climate, Sheffield TUC, Sheffield Climate Alliance, Campaign Against Climate Change, Extinction Rebellion Sheffield
Please see our initial leaflet for calling for solidarity with the students on 20th September: 20th Sept – TU Leaflet for branches
We are asking trade union branches to download the leaflet and/or forward it by email to their members. Please start to get your branch involved, even if it is just by sending a message of support. Climate change isn’t just an issue for climate activists and politicians – workers need to be at the forefront of the campaign for a just transition!
Day of Action on Friday 20th September. What can your branch do to support?
The school students will be having a march and rally and have asked trade unions to join them with their banners. Sheffield TUC will be there and several union branches have already pledged support. Can your branch send a delegation with your branch banner? The plan so far is:
- Assemble Devonshire Green from 11-12pm
- March to City Hall – 12pm to 1pm
- Rally at City Hall – 1pm to 3pm
After party at Dinah at 7pm – an Eventbrite invite will be sent out in next email.
Sheffield TUC is asking union branches to do one or more of the following:
- Send messages of support/solidarity to the YS4C schools students (via the STUC email)
- Let STUC/YS4C know what they are planning for the day – if they will be joining them on the march/at the rally – bringing your banners
- Write to the Star to let them know they will be joining the students and why etc.
- Perhaps your employer is sympathetic and will allow time off to attend? e.g. some employers are reported to be permitting a longer lunch break etc.
- If your branch is able to make a small donation towards the cost of the rally and march, then please contact Sheffield TUC
The students have been busy speaking at a few meetings and creating a banner for their banner drop in September. They are mostly away at the moment so will re-group at the last week of August.
Remember – There are NO jobs on a DEAD planet!
Sheffield Trade Union Council