PRESS RELEASE Thursday 2nd July 2020
Socially-distanced protest outside Hallamshire Hospital 1230 till 1.30pm Friday 3rd July 2020 – organised by Sheffield Save Our NHS
We ♥ Our NHS!
You’ve been through a lot since 1948– but we stand by you!
- Born 1948 under a LABOUR Government, opposed by the Tories!
- Savaged by spending cuts under Thatcher/Major Tory Governments
- Funding restored under Blair/Brown Labour Governments (but they began costly privatisation of some services)
- £22B austerity spending cuts under Tory Governments since 2010
- Privatisation drive intensified under Tory Governments (Including all distribution, supply and logistics)
- NHS staff pay and pensions under sustained attack for 10 years
- Care Sector privatised, underfunded and treated as Cinderella service
- Over-stretched and neglected – in no fit state to cope with COVID-19 (but you did a fantastic job!)
- PPE arrives too late for front line staff – many die whilst saving lives (and we blame the Government for that – no if’s, no but’s)
So give NHS and Care Service staff a proper pay rise and a decent pension – ‘cos they deserve it!
“We will stand by you when you put in your pay claim”
Calling all health and care workers: If you are not in a trade union, join one today!
SHEFFIELD NEEDS A PAY RISE! Campaign
“We LOVE the NHS! We are so grateful to all the nurse and doctors, the care workers and all the NHS support staff who risked their lives (in too many cases lost their lives) to save our lives during this COVID-19 crisis” said Martin Mayer Secretary Sheffield Trade Union Council.
“So on this 72nd Birthday of the NHS, let’s remember how much we love our NHS and all who work in our hospitals and the care service. Let’s remember how magnificently they worked saving lives even though their pay has been cut almost every year since 2010 and their pensions savaged. Let’s stand by them when they demand the levels of pay and pension they rightly deserve, once this pandemic is over” said Martin. We say loud and clear: “We will stand by you when you put in your pay claim and give you all the support you need”
The message to all low paid workers is clear” said Martin Mayer “join a trade union!” Any workers who want to discuss how to do this and get help organising should get in touch with Sheffield TUC in the first instance by emailing email@example.com or sending a message on our Sheffield TUC Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Sheffield-TUC-136443963099901/
For more information, please contact Martin Mayer Secretary on 0776 1078482